EXPLORING OUR PAST, SHAPING OUR FUTURE
Downloadable Press Kit (with logos)
FIRST AND FOREMOST…
– Post about us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook using the hashtags #LESMonth/#LESstories
– Link to us on your website – include www.leshistorymonth.com wherever your LESHM events are listed!
– Include us in your eblast
– Post your LES photos to Instagram using the hashtags #LESmonth, or send them to email@example.com to have them included in our online gallery
LES HISTORY MONTH KICK-OFF EVENTS AND HOW TO TALK ABOUT THEM:
LES Stories: Friday, May 1 & throughout the month
– LES Stories is inspired by Ruth Sergel’s citywide public art project, CHALK, which remembers the 146 garment workers who lost their lives in the infamous 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire.
– If you’re participating or come across some chalking, take a picture and post to Instagram tagging it #LESstories, or send to firstname.lastname@example.org to be published in our www.leshistorymonth.org gallery
– Friday, May 1: Volunteers spread throughout the LES to chalk bits of history. Participating organizations, schools, and businesses will chalk at their own locations. The public and other institutions are also encouraged to participate. Volunteers are welcome to attend the morning kick off event at First Street Green, which will include food, coffee, and morning stretches. Sign up to volunteer here.
– Throughout the month: All are encouraged to chalk drawings, stories, or bits of history in front of their places of work, play, and residence throughout the month. Be sure to Instagram it with #LESmonth and/or #LESstories.
LES Community Hero Awards
– The LES Community Hero Awards recognize and celebrate the unsung community heroes of the Lower East Side. We will have a gathering where awards will be presented to the heroes themselves by presenters influenced by their community work.
This year’s heroes are:
– Chino Garcia
– Joyce Mendelsohn
– Nelson Valentine
– Paul Garrin
– Mateo Gomez and Nelson Landrieu
– with a Special Citation to LES Ready!
CREDIT LES HISTORY MONTH
When creating your digital/print pieces (like eblasts) and listings for your event(s), please include an iteration of the following:
[your event] is in celebration of Lower East Side History Month! See the full schedule of events at www.leshistorymonth.org.
Please use the following text as you see fit to promote your involvement in the LESHM:
May is Lower East Side History Month
Lower East Side History Month, taking place during May, is the annual celebration of the rich and diverse history of the LES. Conceived by LES-based arts and community groups, LES History Month aims to connect our present to our past, exploring how our history can inform and inspire our future.
Please tweet, retweet, and tweet some more about LES Stories, performances, tours, workshops, exhibitions, and any other program associated with LESHM by tagging #LESmonth and #LESstories.
Thrilled to present our new exhibit History of Activism in the #LES as part of #LESmonth this May! See the full schedule at www.leshistorymonth.org.
My neighbor has lived in the neighborhood for years, always love his #LESstories about the block! #LESmonth
The best art, food, activists, and community for over 200 years. Celebrate the legacy and shape the future this May for #LESmonth [leshistorymonth.org]
Been in the LES for 30+ years…I remember when Andy Warhol showed films across the street #LESstories #LESmonth
We have been proud members of the #LES for 30 years and can’t wait to celebrate this May for #LESmonth! [leshistorymonth.org]
Post any pictures and images of LES History Month events using the hashtag #LESmonth. Tag videos and other media with stories behind them #LESstories. Tag #LESstories for chalking posts!
The LESHM Page can be found at www.facebook.com/leshistorymonth. Please “Like” the page, and link to it in your Facebook postings.
We also encourage you to create Facebook events for your LESHM programming and tag it to the LESHM page. (Remember to include “In celebration of Lower East Side History Month – www.leshistorymonth.org” in your event description).
Sample Facebook posts:
Have you seen the packed calendar of @LESHistoryMonth events? We’re hosting a _______ for two weekends and can’t wait to celebrate this outstanding community we call home with our friends and neighbors!
Don’t forget that May is @LESHistoryMonth! Thrilled to be a part of this massive celebration of the greatest neighborhood of NYC!
BOILER PLATE TEXT
Lower East Side History Month is an annual celebration of the rich and diverse history of the Lower East Side. Taking place during month of May, LES History month is an umbrella for a variety of public events, exhibits, tours, and learning opportunities taking place in the historical definition of the Lower East Side—which includes the East Village, Chinatown, Little Italy, and Alphabet City. Conceived and launched by LES-based cultural and community groups, LES History Month aims to connect our present to our past, exploring how our history can inform and inspire our future.
Tagline: Exploring our past, shaping our future
If you have new, exciting ways to spread this information, share your ideas!