Taking place during month of May, Lower East Side History Month is an umbrella for a variety of public events, exhibits, tours, and learning opportunities taking place in the historical definition of the Lower East Side—which includes the East Village, Chinatown, Little Italy, and Alphabet City. Conceived and launched by LES-based cultural and community groups, LES History Month aims to connect our present to our past, exploring how our history can inform and inspire our future.
Since 2014, we worked with more than 80 (and counting) community groups, cultural organizations, and businesses to bring you this annual celebration of the rich and diverse history of the Lower East Side History Month!
LES Stories: Community Chalking Sites
- LES Stories @ Chen and Dancers at Chen Dance Center, 70 Mulberry St.
- LES Stories @ Dixon Place at Dixon Place, 161A Chrystie St.
- LES Stories @ Exit 9 Gift Emporium at Exit9 Gift Emporium, 51 Avenue A
- LES Stories @ Greenwich Village Society for Historical Preservation at Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, 232 East 11th Street
- LES Stories @ IATI Theater at IATI Theater, 64 E. 4th Street
- LES Stories @ Kehila Kedosha Janina Synagogue and Museum at Kehila Kedosha Janina, 280 Broome St.
- LES Stories @ La MaMa at La MaMa ETC, 66 East 4th St.
- LES Stories @ Loisaida Center at Loisaida Center, 710 E 9th St
- LES Stories @ Museum at Eldridge Street at Museum at Eldridge Street, 12 Eldridge Street
- LES Stories @ Museum of Reclaimed Urban Space at Museum at Eldridge Street, 12 Eldridge Street
- LES Stories @ Neighborhood Preservation Center at Neighborhood Preservation Center, 232 E 11th Street
- LES Stories @ Sweet Generation at Sweet Generation, 130 1st Ave
- LES Stories @ The Lowline at The Lowline, 140 Essex Street
- LES Stories @ Theater for the New City at Theater for the New City, 155 1st Avenue
- LES Stories @ Typewritten tales at 6th and B Garden, Ave. B and 6th Street
- LESStories @ Anthology Film Archives at Anthology Film Archives, 32 2nd Ave
- LES Stories – Community Chalking Kickoff at First Street Green, 33 E. 1st Street